Saturday, February 25, 2012

Is the Moral Road Worth Taking?

It has been a rough week for BadHallDirector—professionally. I have had a few too many probationary conversations with RAs, I have been chewed out by my boss for not reminding him about a meeting that he was running, and I have had too many arguments with custodial services about CAD charges. My conclusion this week is that being honest and moral just isn’t paying off.

Our washing machines and dryer units are at least 7 years old. For normal use say at your home, that wouldn’t be a big deal. My parents have had their dryer set for 25 years. It reminds me of when I was 4 and wore TMNT footie pajamas—anyway, I digress. Back to washing machines. For machines in a couple-hundred-person building, a few years can easily equal thousands of loads of laundry. Keeping crappy machines for too long and making students suffer, because the department is too cheap is just not right!

To add to the “just not right” column, the maintenance personnel refuse to complete any work orders associated with washers or dryers. They claim they visit the hall and fix the machines; however, how can that be when at this very moment 10 machines are already broken (again?), yet the dude was here earlier this morning. I can’t prove it, but I’m pretty confident he just shows up, punches in, and sits his fat ass on the couch in the downstairs common area lounge, watching Maury and Jerry Springer. Making matters worse, this Monday morning will bring the custodial manager to my office door demanding to charge the students for every broken washer even though they were never fixed.

It does not matter that my building has been without fully working laundry facilities since October. No one responsible to fix the problem actually lives here—they just assume the dirty laundry we all have magically disappears or cleans itself. They continue to blame the residents for damaging the dryers and clogging the washing machines. That has nothing to do with it! The machines appear to be constantly breaking down, because they were never fixed in the first place.

I refuse to charge residents for work that is not being completed. I refuse to break my moral code and force students who pay for a service to be charged when said service is not provided. I am tired of maintenance and custodial staffs spending most of their time in the break room and then turning around accusing professional staff of not doing our jobs. For once, why don’t we try to not swindle our students and simply fix. The. Damn. Washers. 

1 comment:

  1. I have been there and understand your pain. I was SURE the custodian staff was hiding up in on the 3rd floor lounge and watching tv all morning instead of cleaning the hallways and stairwells. There was a spilled soda in one of the lesser-used stairwells, and I waited a week to see if it was going to be cleaned up (the custodians are required to sweep and mop ALL the stairwells every day). After a week I decided to watch the previous day's hallway cameras and watched as the custodians walked into the lounge at 8:15am, came out for lunch, then went back in at 1:00 and did not leave until 3pm. Armed with that I went to my boss, and he just shrugged his shoulders and said there wasn't anything he could do. Um, oh about getting off your ass and calling the custodial supervisor and DO YOUR JOB? It took another 2 weeks before the soda was cleaned up. And guess what? The custodians wanted me to charge the residents since it was "so hard to clean up." Ugh.

    ReplyDelete